Saturday, May 8, 2010

MAY 5, 2010

The one missing bird is sitting in my old dead pine tree right now.
I was dozing on the couch, after spending the day at Special Olympics with my class, and also watching my daughter compete.
Daughter and I both have pneumonia now, but she didn't let it hold her back.
But I saw a white flash by the window, jumped up, as the missing dove made a second pass by the house.
I fed, and have whistled, now just waiting for her to figure out how to come back into the loft for a meal.
Hopefully she'll figure it out before Mr Hawk comes back around.
EDIT: 7PM
Yay!
2010 AU Queen 1396 has made it home! This was the Necaise family bred bird out of the ones I got from Rod.
Yes, I know now they weren't QUITE hungry enough, but the weather was perfect and I got excited.
I definitely know better next time.
She spent the last hour going back and forth, from shed top to shed top.
We have the loft, hubby's shop, a red shed (holds air compressor), a grey shed (holds holiday and camping stuff), a white shed (holds horse and goat feed)
She went back and forth multiple times between these, looking in the window at the other birds, who were behind the trap.
Finally she flew over, landed on the ladder that I keep moving elsewhere, and someone keeps moving back in front of the loft.
She sat on the top of the ladder, about 5 feet from the landing board, until she finally just hopped across, where a bit of feed was waiting, in case the birds waiting inside had finished their meal.
I do have a question. If the birds are not eating the peas, does this mean I am feeding too much? I thought maybe they were too big for them, but maybe they just like the other stuff better and I do need to cut the feed back again.

No comments:

Post a Comment