Saturday, May 8, 2010

April 2, 2010

OK, got yet another question for ya'll...
Loft construction is well underway, but hubby and I are having a disagreement and need some advice.
We are in Georgia, where the summer heat stays in the 90 degree range for months. In the winter, we get down to the teens, occasionally single digits.
Loft faces west, since south was not really an option with our setup.
The floor is done half in wood, half in expanded metal, as well as vents along the eaves, and then the large screened aviary windows.
My loft design had a large screened aviary across much of the front, 2 actually, one for each side.
Hubby thinks the top 2/3 of the aviaries should be metal roofing, to block the sun.
Hubby is afraid that if the entire thing is screened, or even uses greenhouse panels, that the birds inside will get too hot.
I'm thinking that the metal roof will still conduce heat, as well as cutting down on the airflow. I would prefer the greenhouse panels, since they would keep the rain from falling on the aviary, but still let the light in.
Oh, and yes, that old dead pine tree will be coming down. As much as the guineas appreciate it, I don't want a hawk or owl to find it a convenient perch to wait for a meal.
Pictures found here
Please note that the rest of the site is still very much under construction, and isn't yet ready for viewing...
Suggestions? Comments? I'd like to give hubby a yay or nay tomorrow if possible, so he can get the one aviary finished once he finishes the roofing tomorrow.
I get my birds in 2 weeks...

No comments:

Post a Comment