Thursday, June 24, 2010

June 24, 2010

Well, 2 days ago the 1 mile release went well, birds beat me home.
Today I went north (direction I expect most releases to come from) and let them fly.
All 12 flew off as a flock, heading in the right direction.
As I pulled off the small road I was on, I could already see the flock circling over what I thought was the loft.
Came down the driveway, and was surprised to not see my birds waiting.
After another 20 minutes, one bird came in. Seems a little dirtier than I remember, but other than that no problem.
He did circle for a while before coming in, seemed kind of flustered.
I'm wondering if a hawk scattered them over my loft? No sign of the others yet, it's been 45 minutes.

Whew! The other 11 just showed up, one hour after release.
I wonder if they came in, saw they were home, and decided it was still 'play time' so took off exploring?
And why was the one by itself?
The one that came in solo was very skittish, didn't want to land until I backed away, which is unusual.
It was one of the ones that stayed here when the 9 headed off a few weeks ago, and came back over a 2 week+ time frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment