Sunday, August 8, 2010

August 7, 2010

Today we tossed the birds from Calhoun, 16 air miles from the house. This was around 1 pm.
A little girl from my class actually released one basket after their bowling season trophy ceremony, and my daughter released the second.

I went home and no birds. I didn't stress overly much, knowing they could be taking a long way home.
So I took the girls to band picture day.

At 4 pm, we were on the field, the photographer was taking the group picture, and I looked up and saw my birds circling over the high school (where they have been tossed 4 or 5 times).
There were only 10 of my birds, with a brown bird chasing the last one, trying to cut it out of the flock.
Several times the hawk took one of my birds out of the flock and tried to chase it away.
I was glad to see that the other birds kind of circled, until the separated bird was able to rejoin the flock.

There was nothing I could do, this was still 6 miles from home, so I just watched and hoped.

Once I did get home, I was glad to see 11 of my 12 were in the loft.
While not happy that one is gone, at least the others made it safely.
And who knows, maybe #12 will make it, if it went somewhere to safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment